Dennis pop. 14,207) is a quintessential Mid Cape town–offering visitors and residents a bit of everything. Route 6A winds through historic Dennis and features antiquing, dining, shopping and cultural activities. Route 28 offers gift shops, restaurants, mini golf and other activities for summer visitors. Cape Cod Realtors offers real estate deals in Dennis.
Dennis is made up of five villages: East Dennis, West Dennis, South Dennis, Dennisport and Dennis. Each of the five villages boasts its own library.
One of the few bi-coastal towns on the Cape, Dennis was incorporated in 1793. The town is named for the area’s first appointed minister, Rev. Josiah Dennis.
In 1816 Dennis resident Henry Hall discovered that sand which had blown onto his cranberry vines made for a sturdier and larger fruit. This discovery led to cranberry farming becoming a big business on Cape Cod.
Scargo Tower offers panoramic views of Scargo Lake, Route 6A and Cape Cod Bay. Photo by Jane Booth.
- Chapin Memorial: Dr. Bottero Road from New Boston Road off Route 6A
- Cold Storage: Cold Storage Road from School Street, off Route 6A
- Corporation: Corporation Road off Route 6A
- Harborview: Sesuit Neck and Harbor Road off Bridge Street, from Route 6A
- Howes Street: Howes Street from Seaside Avenue, off Route 6A
- Mayflower: Dunes Road off Bayview Road, off Route 6A
- Scargo: Dr. Lord Road off Route 6A
- Sea Street: Sea Street off South Street, off Route 6A
- Princess: off Scargo Hill Road, off 6A
- Depot Street: Depot Street off Lower County Road
- Glendon Road: Old Wharf Road off Lower County Road
- Haigis: Old Wharf Road off Lower County Road
- Inman Road: Inman Road off Lower County Road
- Raycroft: off Old Wharf Road, off Lower County Road
- Sea Street: Sea Street, off Lower County Road
- South Village: South Village Road, off Lower County Road
- West Dennis: Lighthouse Road, off Lower County Road
As with every Cape town, if you enjoy the outdoors, you’ll love Dennis! Dennis has some interesting nature trails and recreation areas including Indian Lands & Conservation Trail, Fresh Pond Conservation Area, Johnny Kelley Recreation Area and Crowe’s Pasture. Trail maps are available through the town’s Conservation Commission.
Biking enthusiasts and walkers will love the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Maintained by the state’s Dept. of Conservation and Recreation, the Cape Cod Rail Trail, a 22-mile former railroad, runs from Dennis to Wellfleet.
Get your clubs out, golfers! Dennis is home to two challenging 18-hole courses, the 72-par Pines and 71-par Dennis Highlands, both of which are public.
Sunset at Mayflower Beach on the bay side of Dennis. Photo by Jane Booth.
The Dennis Historical Society operates several important historic sites in town including the 1736 Josiah Dennis Manse Museum, 1867 West Dennis Graded School House, 1801 Jericho Historical Center and Scargo Tower.
The town also draws a lot of talent including art exhibitions at the Cape Cod Museum of Art, films at the historic Cape Cinema and live stage shows at the Cape Playhouse and Eventide Arts on the Gertrude Lawrence Stage. The Cape Playhouse, which operates during the late spring and summer, is the oldest professional summer theatre in the United States.
The Dennis Historical Society, the town and the Dennis Chamber of Commerce host several summertime and holiday events each year including road races, a sand sculpture contest, outdoor band concerts on the village green, lectures and tours.
Folks in Dennis are also big baseball fans and show their pride in supporting their home team, the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox of the Cape Cod Baseball League. Information via CapeCodTravel.com